Skip to content Skip to navigation


Can undocumented students apply for admission to UC Merced?

Yes, UC Merced welcomes applications from undocumented students.

Should undocumented students apply as domestic or international?

Undocumented students should apply as domestic applicants. There is an option under “Citizenship Status” to select “Unclassified.”

Are application fee waivers available to undocumented students?

Fee waivers are available for any domestic applicant who meets the eligibility criteria.

Can undocumented students receive in-state tuition rates?

Yes, with an approved AB540 application, which is available online.

What funding options are available for undocumented students?

Typically, our undocumented students are funded similarly to any other graduate student. Most Ph.D. students are awarded Teaching Assistantships and/or Graduate Student Researcher positions. You may need to request consideration for DACA status in order to obtain work authorization.

The Rose R. Ruiz fellowship is a particularly good opportunity to explore, as AB540 students are given priority for the award. Here is a link of different funding resources for students who qualify for D.A.C.A. or AB 540:

Are there any services on campus to help undocumented students navigate resources in and around campus?

Yes, we have a Services for Undocumented Students office that serves the entire campus population of undocumented students.

Are there any additional resources at the UC systemwide level for undocumented students?

Undocumented students of all ethnicities and nationalities can find a safe environment and supportive community at the University of California.  Please find more information by following this link.